Sunday, April 13, 2008

Quick Though: Stefano Pilati & Couture

Click on Image to Enlarge)

So congruent with my post previous to this one, I was praising Pilati and his work at Yves Saint Laurent (YSL). And I realized why won't they let him venture into couture? Isn't that a pleasant idea? He clearly has control of the fabrics with his minimalism structure pieces and sharp lines. If he wanted to, he could rival Nicolas Ghesquiere's Balenciaga pieces. (Which reminds me, I'll do a comparison between YSL and Balenciaga in a future post).

I think Stefano Pilati would be a great couture-r. I believe since he's still only been the director for a short period, the big bosses still wants to see if he's able to carry out more editor's top favorite seasons. If so, then they'll give him reign to do couture. Also, the world of couture is expensive and not as lucrative as pret-a-porters, but I think with recent collections, YSL's income should stabilize and give Pilati a chance. I imagine Valentino but more formal and futuristic. No? Valentino has that minimalistic decadence, but it's often feminine and soft, in both structure and color.

But if I was given the chance to decide whether Pilati should be in charge of that, hands down Pilati has my vote.

Source: Yves Saint Laurent Fall 2008 | Balenciaga Fall 2008

No comments: