Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Swelling Monotony

I was walking down the main shopping street in Philadelphia and I couldn't help but notice the people with the boring, predictable wardrobe. It wasn't until I step into a pseudo-ritzy coffee place in one of the richest part of the city did I notice a more creativity. And the demographic of that group? Women and men over 60. There was a classicism, yet brave look to them. Their clothes reflect their age, but the color splash choices that were either on their cheeks or on their lips made the look beautiful. The jackets sculpted to their body, the fur's grain is vertical and the strut in conjunction with the shoes made Philadelphia worth living in.

Stores like Armani Exchange and Lacoste are overcrowding the already crowding safety-stores. When I say safety, I mean clothes that are bought and put over the head without thinking. When I say safety, I mean clothes that are mimicked by "trend analysts" and made easy by the corporate conglomerate to steal the money of those that want to be "trendy individual." Sadly enough, everyone looks the same with their skinny jeans and beany hat. Their bi-tone techno color American Apparel and Nike air shoes. Gag.

I must congratulate the marketing executives that prey on innocent individuals and understand the weakness of social pressure.

I never understood why people are unable to take at least a half-hour out of their day to dress themselves. I see being able to dress and express myself not to others but to myself one of the great privileges. I understand there's a mindset to why put an effort when you could pay someone to think for you. But that's horrible. I encourage individualism. You can't tell me paying someone in exchange for clothes equates to a certain kind of individualism. There's difficulty understand yourself let alone being depending someone to interpret you.

I find it beautiful the certain way someone ties their scarf, wear their jeans, and tie their trench coat belt. I find it beautiful a certain way someone takes effort to wear a sweater and not intimidated by the size. I find it beautiful a size 0 individual taking a size xxl and wearing it like it was made for her. I'm not saying to not go to Urban Outfitters and American Apparel because all the clothes look the same, which they do. But what I'm saying is be proud of what you wear not just the ability to purchase the clothes, but style it in a way that you could say you own it because you contributed to it. Take pride in tucking in a shirt a different way, or a little off kilter. Play with colors, don't be intimidated and take chances. If someone looks or make comments, don't be upset but enjoy that you put them awkward and out of their comfort zone.

Even if one person does this and decide to tuck in their shirt in a different way than they normally do and do not follow conventions even by an inch. I would be happy.

DARE TO CHANGE! Progression only happens when conventions are questioned and challenged. Be you and be creative. How often can one say, "I am the cause for why they're wearing that." Not often. Be the change. BE THE CHANGE!!!!!! haha. I'll love you for it.

One thing I do to help me be creative is that, before I leave the house I always wonder: If the photographer of the Sartorialist saw me on the street today, will he take a picture of me?

2 comments:

..... said...

nice to see you're back
by the way i have liked a lot that idea of wonderin if the sartorialist if one day i meet him would take picture of me !!? that's brilliant

Anonymous said...

is it not sad society has become an army of mindless drones, anything to lay laziness in concrete? advancing only to hinder. pathetic. might i add, your view is top notch.