Thursday, January 31, 2008

NYT: The Newly Uptight


“I like the idea of good tailoring and clothes that are not so demonstrative,” she said. “We’re getting beyond the idea of ‘look at me, look at me.’ Fashion today is more about calmness than flash.”


The New York Times had a great article on the trend of fall 2008. The trends are gearing towards conservatism - less mini skirt, less babydoll shirts and dress, less "loud" ladies. Conservatism, however, will not be so subdued but subtle, passive chic. The quote above accentuates the desire of the fashion world to be a little more serious. With an interst in economics, I can't help but wonder whether the designers are reflecting present economic worries.

I wrote a memo in one of my class on how a company was weakening and had to restructure themselves and they thought the first thing to do is to change the office wardrobe. The company used to have formal dressing but then relaxed the rule and casual wear was accepted, a progression towards casual Friday. In recent blogs, I always touch on how I dress reflects how I think, or at least have influence on how I feel and act the specific time I have that wardrobe on.

With that in mind, perhaps for fall everyone is getting ready to sit down and be serious on tackling the unsteady world economy. In American society, there's a shift in presidency and awaiting the new one to undo and help the society regain momentum. When the people elected Bush, people said that they wanted a president to sit down and have a drink with. However, perhaps after seeing what that type of person can do, a president should be expected of more than a drinking buddy.

Though the article touches on the movement back to conservatism, the culture has always existed. I also admire the culture that stands out but try little in doing so. They don't need a bright neon skirt, though there's nothing wrong with it, but a tweed jacket and a fitted suit fits them just as fine as a Marc Jacobs inverse-underwear Spring 2008 dress.

Designers seem intent on returning to old-fashioned civilities just the same. Some view the resurrection of a more formally controlled aesthetic as a rebuke to young Hollywood’s disheveled style. Thakoon Panichgul, who will show a collection of body-skimming dresses with subtle ’60s details, maintains that such looks are timely. “There is an energy about being proper,” he said. “It’s not about wholesomeness, it’s about respectability, about having manners again.”


I have to go to class, but I think the article is really interesting and worth reading. Besides, I'm tired of the mini skirts and the babydoll dresses. :)

Read article: New York Times: The Newly Uptight

No comments: